Experiencing Elder Abuse in Nursing Homes? Get Legal Help Now
What is Elder Neglect?
Elder neglect occurs when the party responsible for providing care to an elder fails to provide the proper care to the victim. Victims who experience elder neglect typically live in nursing homes or other senior care centers, and this is because they are unable to care for themselves on a day-to-day basis. Elderly individuals are those who are over the age of sixty years old in most states; however, some states consider an elder to be over the age of sixty-five.
Neglect entails that the victim was not properly tended to, meaning he or she did not receive the proper care and attention that they needed. There are several types of elder neglect that can occur, which includes but is not limited to the following:
- Failing to give the elderly victim basic necessities, such as food, water, clothing, and shelter
- Failing to provide medicines or treatments according to their doctor’s orders
- Allowing the elderly victim to live in unreasonable living conditions, such as unlivable or unsuitable environments
- Failing to convey important information to another as requested by the elderly victim, which can possibly result in physical harm of the victim
Who Can Be Held Responsible for Elder Neglect?
Any person who is responsible for caring for an elder and fails to do so can be held responsible for neglect, which includes but is not limited to:
- Nursing home workers
- Caregivers living with the elderly victim
- Medical professionals
- Respite caregivers
- Parents, relatives, or friends who have assumed legal responsibility for the elder
Signs of Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect
If your loved one is in a nursing home or any other type of senior care center, it is very important to be aware of the signs of nursing home abuse, which includes but is not limited to:
- Bruises, bedsores, infections or other injuries
- Excessive and/or unexplained weight-loss
- Reluctance to speak while a staff member is present
- Unsanitary and unclean conditions
- Unexplained or unexpected death of the elder victim
Do I Need an Elder Neglect Attorney in Los Angeles?
If you believe your loved one is being neglected or abused, it is essential to get in contact with an elder neglect lawyer in Los Angeles as soon as possible. At The Law Offices of Nigel Burns, our team is extremely knowledgeable in providing legal help for victims and their families. Our Los Angeles elder abuse attorneys have several years of experience in representing those who have fallen victim due to elder neglect, elder abuse, and more.
At The Law Offices of Nigel Burns, we understand how stressful and upsetting it can be when dealing with how your loved one was treated. This is why it is essential to take action as soon as possible. Elders are susceptible to serious repercussions if the problem is not addressed in a quick manner. Our team will help you and your loved one every step of the way. We have successfully handled a numerous amount of cases for victims and their loved ones by getting them the justice and compensation they deserve.
Elder neglect and elder abuse are a crime. If you are in need of legal help from an experienced elder abuse attorney in Los Angeles, we are the team that will fight for you from start to finish. Feel free to give us a call any time to get the justice you deserve.